"You will be pleased to hear that we have dealt with the unfortunate blowing-up of Miss Marjorie Dursley. Two members of the Accidental Magic Reversal Department were dispatched to Privet Drive a few hours ago. Miss Dursley has been punctured and her memory has been modified. She has no recollection of the incident at all. So that's that, and no harm done."
-- Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge (PA3)
The Memory Modifying Charm is also called “Memory Charm”.
Modifies or erases portions of a person’s memory. A person who has their memory erased can be described as “Obliviated” (WFT).
Memory Modifying Charms are often used to uphold the International Code of Wizarding Secrecy and to avoid frightening Muggles. Officials with the Ministry of Magic who perform the Memory Charm on Muggles are known as “Obliviators.”
History and Notes
Minister for Magic Ottaline Gambol was responsible for the creation of the Hogwarts Express to transport young witches and wizards to Hogwarts. However, the secrecy surrounding the project entailed " a mass operation involving one hundred and sixty-seven Memory Charms and the largest ever mass Concealment Charm performed in Britain" (Pm)
References from the canon
- These spells are used routinely by the Ministry of Magic as they work to keep the wizarding world a secret from the Muggles.
- They are used if a Muggle sees a dragon (PS14) and after an enchanted item falls into Muggle hands (CS3).
- So many Muggles have seen the Loch Ness Monster that the Ministry of Magic has been unable to perform Memory Charms on all of them (DP).
- According to Blenheim Stalk in Muggles Who Notice, some Muggles "escape" Mass Memory Charms on occasion that are used to cover up major incidents (FB).
- The Accidental Magic Reversal Squad modified Aunt Marge's memory after Harry blew her up and made her fly away (PA3).
- Memory Charms were used on the witnesses to Peter Pettigrew's murder of twelve Muggles and subsequent escape as a rat (PA10).
- Bertha Jorkins had had a Memory Charm placed on her by Crouch Sr. after she discovered Barty Crouch Jr. at the Crouch home (GF33). Voldemort broke through it, but the process left her mind damaged and he killed her (GF1).
- Mr. Roberts, the campground manager near the Quidditch World Cup, needed ten Memory Charms a day or he started noticing odd things going on. Later, after he and his family had been attacked by the Death Eaters, they all received Memory Charms (GF7, GF9).
- Lockhart used Memory Charms on those whose adventures he claimed as his own. He'd interview someone who battled some creature or conquered some dark foe, then write the story as if he did it himself and cast a Memory Charm on to the person so they'd forget it was really them. He tried to do the same to Harry and Ron, but it backfired onto him instead (CS16).
- The Ministry of Magic arranged for the President of an unnamed country to forget to telephone the Muggle Prime Minister in order to clear time on the latter's schedule for an interview with Cornelius Fudge and Rufus Scrimgeour (HBP1).
- A Ministry wizard whose job it is to cast Memory Charms is called an Obliviator (GF7).
- Mnemone Radford was the first Ministry of Magic Obliviator, noted for developing Memory Modifying charms (JKR).
- Teams of Obliviators attempted to modify the memories of all Muggles who saw what really happened during the so-called hurricane in the West Country during the summer of 1996 [Y16].
- Hermione modified her parents' memories, making them forget not only who they were and that they had a daughter, but making them think that they had different names and wanted to move to Australia (DH6). However, she later said that she had never cast a Memory Charm before (DH9).
- Hermione cast this on various witnesses to the café incident to cover her trail and that of her friends (DH9).
- Hermione looked as though she had been Obliviated when she recalled seeing the locket Horcrux two years before (DH10).
- In 1926, No-Maj Jacob Kowalski was exposed to the magic of Newt Scamander and his magical menagerie, as well as that of Queenie and Tina Goldstein. At first he was allowed to keep his memories because he was ill from the bite of a Murtlap, and as time went on, Newt could not bring himself to Obliviate his friend. But later Jacob agreed to have his memories cleansed along with other No-Majs when Frank the Thunderbird dropped the healing venom of a Swooping Evil over New York City in a rainstorm (WFT).
- Some time before 1926, Auror Tina Goldstein attacked the leader of the Second Salem Philanthropic Organization, Mary Lou Barebone, for beating her son Credence with a belt. Tina was demoted at MACUSA, and the No-Maj members of the congregation were Obliviated (WFT).
"oblivisci" L. forget